M-PVA Magnetic Beads
chemagen started its business with the development, functionalization, and production of magnetic particles based on polyvinyl alcohol, referred to as M-PVA Magnetic Beads. These beads represent a new class of particles and allow applications in nearly every scientific field requiring the isolation of specific biomolecules.
The picture shows a schematic representation of the M-PVA Magnetic Bead structure. Particles of magnetite are embedded in the polyvinyl alcohol matrix conferring paramagnetic properties to the beads.
The surface of the M-PVA Magnetic Beads can be functionalized with many different groups and modified with individually tunable loadings. The figure above shows a selection of functionalized, activated M-PVA Magnetic Beads offered by chemagen as standard and ready-to-use reagents.
Applications of M-PVA Magnetic Beads
Thanks to their hydrophilic surface, M-PVA Magnetic Beads show a very little affinity for most biological molecules, opposite to the majority of commercially available magnetic beads that are based on hydrophobic materials such as polystyrene. This unique feature makes activated M-PVA Magnetic Beads ideal for the separation of specific molecules from complex mixtures.
Standard functionalized M-PVA Magnetic Beads:
- Medium carboxylated beads
- Highly carboxylated beads
- N-hydroxysuccinimidyl (NHS) ester
- Primary amine functionalized
- Epoxide functionalized
- OH-functionalized Beads
Major applications of M-PVA Magnetic Beads:
- Isolation of nucleic acids
- Detection or isolation of specific sequences or species of nucleic acids
- Preparation of molecule libraries (e.g. oligonucleotides, DNA, RNA, proteins, or smaller molecules) using combinatorial strategies
- Screening and selection of DNA libraries
- Binding of biotinylated proteins
- Affinity purification of proteins (e.g. antibodies or lectins)
Opposite to the majority of commercially available magnetic beads that are based on hydrophobic materials such as polystyrene, M-PVA Magnetic Beads show a very little affinity for most biological molecules thanks to their hydrophilic surface. This unique feature makes activated M-PVA Magnetic Beads ideal for the separation of specific molecules from complex mixtures.
Outstanding properties of the M-PVA Magnetic Beads:
- High magnetite content for fast magnetic separation, even from large sample volumes
- Monodisperse particles for a uniform reproducibility of magnetic separation
- µm sized beads present a high active surface per volume and allow efficient adaptation to specific applications
- Mechanical robustness allows different kinds of processing and facilitates automated use
- Chemical functionalization of the matrix with different modifications for high and specific binding capacity
- Hydrophilicity of the PVA surface, leading to low non-specific protein binding
- High thermal stability enabling easy sterilization by autoclaving
If you are looking for magnetic particles for an application or with a specific functionalization not listed above, please contact us.
For research use only. Not for use in diagnostic procedures.